Today AXELOS announced the upcoming arrival of the new PRINCE2 2017 Update. It was in 2009 when the previous version was presented and this could mean that product is not being used or is already rather mature. I think the latter is the case and that’s what we can conclude too if we look at this new version. It’s a thorough but evolutionary update; same seven principles, themes and processes remain.
As one of the reviewers for the AXELOS PPM product family I took part in several review rounds for this new PRINCE2 Update, so I have already read the draft manual.
There is now, in the new manual, a much stronger emphasis on tailoring. In the previous version, it was a separate chapter, and not examined, and now it’s a thread running throughout the method as well as the exam. You will also get a much stronger emphasis on the principles, and the practical application of PRINCE2 is much better explained. This will help to get rid of the misconception that PRINCE2 is a waterfall approach to project management.
Some changes in more detail:
- Better link between themes and principles
- Tailoring guidelines on the level of individual themes and processes are added
- New chapter on adopting PRINCE2 in an organization
- Tailoring guidelines for the management products are added
- Tailoring guidelines regarding roles are added
- Throughout the manual many hints and tips
- Any bias against agile is removed, on several places you will find references to agile approaches
- Instead of ‘corporate or programme management’ we now have ‘corporate, programme management or customer’
- PRINCE2 terminology better aligned with ISO21500 and BS6079 and differences are explained
- Progress theme is not talking about ‘technical stages’ anymore. New terms: ‘development approach’ e.g. agile, waterfall and ‘development step’ e.g. iteration in agile
- The ‘strategies’ e.g. risk management strategy, are now called ‘approaches’
- The ‘benefits review plan’ is replaced by the ‘benefits management approach’
- ‘Daily log’ and ‘lessons report’ are no longer included in appendix A. The ‘lessons log’ should be treated as a view of the ‘lessons log’.
Benefits of this PRINCE2 2017 Update are:
- Builds on your existing investment in PRINCE2;
- You will get the best out of PRINCE2
- It equips practitioners with practical skills and tools
- New exams test candidates in a fairer and more valuable way
- Practical, accessible, authoritative, relevant guidance for anyone managing a project
- Doesn’t impact PRINCE2 Agile.
Some final facts:
- Official book launch May 2017 (English, other languages, e.g. Dutch, Polish, German, … as of 2018 and beyond)
- Exams as of mid 2017, as of 2018 only PRINCE2 2017 Update exams
- PRINCE2 2017 Update Foundation exam: tailoring added, now 60 questions
- PRINCE2 2017 Update Practitioner exam: focus on practical skills, all parts are now included, 75 questions
- No PRINCE2 2017 Update re-certification exam anymore
- Current PRINCE2 version 2009 Practitioner certificate expiry dates remain valid
- See also: axelos.com/prince2-2017