The PM World Journal has published the latest version of my Bird’s eye view in the agile forest article. For sure there will updates in the coming months.
Some years ago, you could say “Scrum is agile” and ask “is agile Scrum?” Now we know there is much more flesh on the bones. At this moment there are more than fifty known and less known agile approaches, frameworks or methods available. To get a first impression of the different approaches, I try to bring some structure in the jungle to approaches, methods and frameworks. In Figure 1, I position the best-known agile approaches in a structure. The approaches, frameworks or methods are positioned within the ‘One-time programs / projects’ sections or within ‘Business as usual’ / indefinite, or both.On the other side the approaches, frameworks or methods are clustered around team, product or programme and portfolio level. In the dark blue boxes in Figure 1 we see agile approaches that are only applicable in IT-focused organizations. All other approaches can be used within IT and non-IT-oriented organizations (light blue coloured). I haven’t mapped all the known approaches, frameworks and methods in this figure, and to be honest, I think there is a lot of duplication and probably commercial drivers play a role too to ‘develop’ the next kid on the block without added value in comparison with the existing approaches, frameworks or methods.
Have a look for the latest version: pmwj87-Nov2019-Portman-birds-eye-view-on-agile-forest (extended 2020-08) v1.11
This article is a modified version of the published article on PM World Journal
- V.111 2020-08 Added Structural Agility (Culture-targeted)
- V1.10 2020-06 Added Flow framework (product-targeted)
- V1.9 2020-05 Added Agile PM2 (project level)
- V1.8 2020-05 Added Domain Driven Design (Engineering level)
- V1.7 2020-05 Added Digital Fluency Model (Culture-targeted)
- V1.6 2020-04 Added Standard for Program Management (one time projects/programs)
- V1.5 2020-04 Added Business Agility Model (Culture-targeted)
- v1.4 2020-01 Added Business Technology Framework (Culture-targeted)
- v1.3 2020-01 Added FLEX (culture-targeted)
- v1.2 2019-12 Added Brightline Transformation Compass (Culture-targeted)
- v1.1 2019-11 Added Organisation Mindset (Culture-targeted)
- v1.1 2019-11 Added Modern Agile (team level)