To prepare myself to give SAFe 4.0 Advanced Scrum Master training classes with ASM certification I used the Scaled Agile offered material (downloads, video’s and ASM examination) to prepare myself as a trainer.
This Advanced training offers, like the Scrum Master training much more than many of the Scrum Master training classes I have seen.
Of course the training will explore the Scrum Master role in the SAFe enterprise and what it really means to facilitate Program Execution. Key parts of the training are focussing on internal, external, structural or behavioural anti-patterns* associated with the Product Owner role, user stories and your environment, and how can you improve the flow in your team by using Kanban and/or XP, and what is the impact of batch or User Story sizes on the throughput of the team.
A next topic will help you to understand what it takes to build a high performing team (team and cross-team collaboration, stakeholder management, team skill set development, improvement roadmap). The training class ends with the inspect and adapt process to improve program performance by applying the problem-solving workshop.
The two-day training will help you to achieve the following learning objectives:
- Apply SAFe principles to facilitation, enablement, and coaching in the multi-team environment
- Build a high-performing team and foster relentless improvement at the team and program levels
- Address Agile and Scrum anti-patterns
- Support the adoption of engineering practices, DevOps, and Agile architecture
- Apply Kanban and flow to optimize the team’s work
- Facilitate program planning, execution, and delivery of end-to-end systems value
- Support learning through participation in Communities of Practice and innovation cycles
The exam is an on-line time-bound exam with fact-based but also scenario driven questions to ask for your advice how to proceed in that specific situation.
As you can see this is definitely much more than you will find in the Scrum guide but really important if you want to play a role as Scrum Master (in a SAFe enterprise).